Mount Holly, North Carolina
Historic sites in Mount Holly, North Carolina include St. Joseph’s Roman Catholic Church, built in 1843; the Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd, 1881; the C.E. Hutchinson House and Augusta Rhyne Cannon, 1894; and the Dellinger-Nantz House, 1899.
Land grants were first issued in the Mount Holly, North Carolina area by King George II of Great Britain around 1750. In 1754, a land grant was issued to James Kuykendall of Holland in the locale known as Dutchman’s Creek. Later in 1838, a post office in the area was named Woodlawn. In 1875, the name of the town was changed to Mount Holly, North Carolina, after the Mount Holly, North Carolina Cotton Mill that was started that year. The name “Mount Holly” was used in recognition of the famed yarn made at a spinning mill in Mount Holly, New Jersey.
|Mount Holly, North Carolina|
Location of Mount Holly, North Carolina
|Incorporated||March 11, 1879|
|• Mayor||Robert C. Whitt|
|• Total||10.0 sq mi (25.9 km2)|
|• Land||9.8 sq mi (25.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.5 km2)|
|Elevation||640 ft (195 m)|
|• Density||1,395/sq mi (538.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0990413|